Dr. Clauter joined OWSA staff in 2012 as Collections Manager after completing graduate school and working contract archaeology positions in Wisconsin and other parts of the Midwest. She handles all aspects relating to curating and preserving Wyoming’s prehistory and early history at the University of Wyoming Archaeological Repository. She works with contractors, federal and state agencies, other archaeologists, and the interested public in her efforts to ensure future generations can use Wyoming’s cultural heritage for research, display, and education.
Dr. Clauter’s research interests include prehistoric ceramics from the Eastern Woodlands, Great Lakes, and High Plains areas, as well as archaeological collections management and curation practices. She currently directs the Elk Mountain site (48CR301) excavations in Carbon County. As an Adjunct Professor with the University of Wyoming Department of Anthropology, she teaches Introduction to Archaeological Curation.
B.A. 1999, College of Wooster
M.S. 2003, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Ph.D. 2012, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- 2015 Early to Late Woodland Ceramic Attribute Change: Evidence from the Klug (47OZ26) and Klug Island (47OZ67) Sites. The Wisconsin Archeologist In Press.
- 2015 Decoration and Compositional Variability in Southern Wisconsin Late Woodland Pottery. La Tinaja: A Newsletter of Archaeological Ceramics Under review.
- 2012 (Eckles, David G., Jody A. Clauter, Mark E. Miller, and Danny N. Walker) Besant-Woodland Artifacts from the Cedar Gap Site (48NA83) in Northwestern Natrona County, Wyoming. The Wyoming Archaeologist 56(2).
- 2011 Ceramic Analyses from the Nitschke Mound Group (47DO27) and Nitschke Garden Beds (47DO518). The Wisconsin Archeologist 92(2).
- 2015 The Results of Using Associated Records to Facilitate New Research: Recent Excavations at the Elk Mountain Site (48CR301). Paper presented at the 80th Annual SAA Meetings, San Francisco, California.
- 2014 Using Associated Records to Facilitate New Research: Recent Excavations at the Elk Mountain Site (48CR301). Paper Presented at the 72nd Annual Meeting of the Plains Anthropological Conference, Fayetteville, Arkansas.
- 2013 The Problems and Potentials of Using Older Collections: A Preliminary Assessment of the Elk Mountain (48CR301) Ceramics. Paper presented at the 71st Annual Meeting of the Plains Anthropological Conference, Loveland, Colorado.
- 2011 Spatial Differences Between Decorative and Technical Attribute Clusters in Wisconsin Late Woodland Ceramics. Paper presented at the 57th Annual Meeting of the Midwest Archaeological Conference, La Crosse, Wisconsin.
- 2010 Discussing a Late Radiocarbon Date from the Nitschke Mound Group (47DO27), Dodge County, Wisconsin. Paper presented at the 56th Annual Meeting of the Midwest Archaeological Conference, Bloomington, Indiana.
- 2010 Same Vessel, Different Mound: Ceramic Analysis from the Nitschke Mound Group (47DO27) and Nitschke Garden Beds (47DO518). Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Society of American Archaeology, St. Louis, Missouri.